Monday, November 2, 2015

Busy Bee

It's been a little while but I'm happy to say I've been busy working/painting. Assignments due, a wedding, and commissions to work on have all come and gone (although schoolwork is a constant factor) and I'm happy to say that within all the craziness that life tends to throw at me, I have been able to squeeze in a few new paintings. I'm realizing the importance of a daily creative practice. Just for me. So here's a progression of a new piece that I finished for a show last weekend (in the nick of time too!).
"Another Era" Watercolor  18"x 24" (before matte and frame)

 The initial drawing, which did undergo a few changes before the painting began.





The first pass of a watercolor is the most exciting/nerve wrecking for me! I can't lose the light and it starts with the first drop of color. This pass sets the tone for the whole painting.









Now things were really starting to take shape and the colors become a bit more dramatic.










Here's the finished piece hanging in the annual Ocean Springs Art Association's Fall Art Exhibit. I'm hoping it finds a new home from there! If you're local check out the show which will be hanging until mid November.

No comments:

Post a Comment